word

There's no such thing as an appropriate joke

5.15.2006

So Dat SoDak...

A question creeped into my mind recently: Should I boycott South Dakota?
I hadn't really considered it until Thursday night. I was at a prof's house for a dinner thing and his wife mentioned that on her way to Wyoming to see her grandkids, she was going to avoid driving through South Dakota. Wow!!! An older women, a grandma even, avoiding a whole state just because of their law on abortion! If she can do it, so can I!
ONE HUGE PROBLEM: South Dakota is home to Badlands National Park. This is my favorite national park. always has been. I've seen the North Dakota Badlands at Teddy Roosevelt. there's a reason that's the least visited national park. maybe someday I'll see one cooler, but until then this is it. Arches and Bryce Canyon would be the only ones even somewhat close to that. Or I guess Devil's Tower, but I'm not sure that's a NP.
Anywho, I am really conflicted about this. I should go to the badlands, but I ought not to. What to do. NOTE to those not familiar with philosophy and ethics, ought implies a moral or ethical obligation. maybe I can find somewhere else really cool that is only a day's drive away. maybe I should go do some north shore exploring, it's been a few years after all. But oh damn.
Listening to Al Franken gave me some hope. this issue may go to the voters and be rejected if PPMSD can get 16000 signatures.
It was also at this dinner party that I decided I want to be a professor when I grow up. And not a professor for a private college, put a public university. At a private school professors have less to do after getting tenure. At a public school professors are required to continously do research, etc. This house was especially nice because one professor does greek art and one african art. a nice combination. and john waters memorabilia and plants. lots of plants. I just want to have a home that is filled with a lifetime's worth of research and finds from all over the world. I want a passion that I can devote a whole lifetime to, first. Greece is the closest thing I have to that passion. What should I study? after college, should I go to a language school and learn greek, hebrew or latin so I can continue on my classics/religious/history/meditaranaen (sic) thing?
oh yeah. ignore that picture below. I needed a profile pic. That's me stealing a chair from the garbage, if you're wondering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters
Enterprise Rent A Car