word

There's no such thing as an appropriate joke

5.24.2006

dinkytown?

as a hipster, am I supposed to hate dinkytown? because I don't. in fact I rather quite like it. I have heard a few friends call dinkytown really lame with no reason. I guess just because they feel the need to be non-conformist or something. I would never want to live in dinkytown, but I like to hang out there. sure there's a lot of stupid crap there, like a huge frickin' mac dos, the library, lots of umpd and a huge goldy's locker room. but there's also a lot of cool shit in dinkytown, like Al's, Annie's, the dinkytowner, everyday people, the purple onion (temporarily closed), espresso royale, loring with it's specials, kafe 421 (great food!), some glass shops and independatnly owned-and-operated music places like Know Name or cd warehouse and finally royal cigar and tobacco, one of the few smoke shops that sells shishah (sic?).
In addition to the fine dining and shopping experiences, dinkytown is full of life. There are always people there, biking, walking and trying to find parking. I like when the city-cat club and loring open up there ginormous windows and people eat outdoors, or indoors with a nice breeze. I like being able to walk to any street corner and pick up an onion, city pages or pulse. I like that the daily is available in the coffeeshops. I like how young it makes me feel when I am there. shit, man. I like dinkytown. on top of all that, it's home to fourth street, positively where robert zimmerman got his start after moving out of hibbing. it's a very small urban area, perfect for us college kids. so deal?

it's cool to disagree with me, but I'd like a reason other than "and dinkytown kinda sucks."

I went to the Walker today to meet up with the art history kids from high school. Mr Lade is finally retiring. omg. It was fine, but i had no interest in seeing the art. all i wanted to do was kick it with max, cool cousin. I feel myself slipping into that pattern again of not caring. kind of like in Greece. I need a ru to slap me and say, you're in greece, who cares about american tv??????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters
Enterprise Rent A Car