word

There's no such thing as an appropriate joke

5.21.2006

Eat me.

that's what i told a bunch of people today.I was dressed as a piece of cake at the aids walk.

so i had an especially enjoable time with the Star tribune. I'll share with some fav points in an organized fashion.

Let's go section by section in the order I consume the strib.

I. A Section
1. as far as the stadiums I have to build I am mad. on the otherhand to dome sucks
2. I enjoyed the section on religious books. recogninzing names and books. as a scholar on religion, it gave me a smug feeling of satisfaction.

II. Metro/State
1. Shooting at the peace rally. I shit you not. A 16 year-old was shot at the end of a PEACE rally with 1500 participants. While the police are "aggressively investigating" this, no one is introducing legislation to ban hand guns in the state. once a week there's a shooting in north minneapolis! Here's a direct quote from the article "It was a blow to the otherwise 'moving' and 'inspiring' atmosphere of the night."
2.CJ was also quite good. with actual good gossip and only a little bit of resentmen for black men coming through.
3. I am excited about this library. I drank from the same keg as the head of hennepin county libraries in tonka-town last night.

III. Opinion/Exchange (very interesting)
1. I actually agreed with Katherine Kersten. This is the first time I have ever agreed with her. She's so whack that she used and HBO mini series as a proof once. She claimed that since a gay man produced the polygamy special, then polygamy would follow gay marriage! She had a piece asking why papers only use their policy of non-offensive materials when the controversial piece is aimed at Islam. She really nailed the NY Times, I shit you not. pun intended
2. I disliked Garrison Keillor's article. so much so. I got his point, and yes it may be true, but he should get off his high-horse. seriously.
3. They got their stats about homeless people wrong.
4. I know this following rant makes me a hypocrit. Some woman wrote in last night about how much she hates all the books and movies and articles about mothering, that people choose to have kids and thus shouldn't complain, bla bla. Well sure, they do choose to reproduce. raising a kid sounds like hard shit, I think some release through humor must be needed. But what really annoyed me about this letter was that the author seemed to take personal offense at the cards, books, movies etc about parenting.

IV. Comics and A/E
Great as always!

V. Travel.
1. no really cheap airfare
2. I love the Q and A guy. he was so great today, delivering blame where it was due.

VI. Source
Source was especially good, So I'll go backwards through it.
1. Sudoku. I did it in like fifteen minutes. I didn't even have to write in the possibilities. either it was way too easy for a five star, or i've been doing too much online sudoku.
2. Carolyn Hax. DTMFsA, letter two
3. The theme today was what does it mean to be Minnesotan. I agreed with all the articles and really liked the generalizations article. All except for one about Minnesotans and their humour. This one I took personally, as both a minnesotan and a girl with a great sense-of-humor! We get things and have a good sense of humor. The author seemed to thing that Minnesotans are interested in not dissecting things, like passive-agressiveness, that we miss humor. Is there a funnier movie than the Big Lebowski, a coen brothers project? Anyone more obvious in his attacks than Al Franken with his "lie, weasel or half-truth?" Is there anyone more comfortable with his sexuality than Prince?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download Web Counters
Enterprise Rent A Car